Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Editing the music video

Before I edit every time, I dump the footage that I want to use from the SD card into a folder. This archive was named "actual footage" in order to import all the videos at once. Once those were placed as raw footage in the editing studio, it was time to edit. At first there were 12 scenes, according to our storyboard. Although there were many takes, Darwin and I had to agree which video out of all would be best fit for the final scene. I placed all of the footage onto the track as the first step. Secondly, I went through all of them and muted the audio. When editing, I analyze how the scenes work and what could be removed. I had to shorten the length of some videos because the actual scene would be enacted in the middle of the video. I played around with the speed in some of the clips, which worked when videos were too slow.

There is a setting in "iMovie" where you can stabilize a shaky video. I could say that this was used for multiple scenes. It helped to a great extent because it makes our music video smoother. Then, Darwin taught me how to get an audio clip from his laptop. I had to go copy the link of a YouTube video of the song, and download it as an mp3 audio. It was added to the third track in the editing studio. I had to start the song halfway into the first verse. I cut the audio clip and shortened it to our last lyric at the end of the video. The song was 1 minute and 8 seconds long when edited, and that is how long the music video was expected to be.

While I was editing scenes 3,5, and 6, I did not like the way they were put together. I also realized that one of the scenes was filmed wrong, since I was following the storyboard. Also, when I thought I finished editing, the video was 58 seconds long. I had to think about adding a scene and re-filming the other ones, which took place on 12/01. The new footage was imported again, and it made the final product longer. One main thing I had to work with while editing was fitting the lyrics with the write scenes. I wanted scenes 5-7 to fit with the song, but it wouldn't have the start of Verse 2 to start with scene 8. However, I had to make Verse 2 to fit with the scenes after 8 because then the song would end correctly for the music video. I added transitions (cross-dissolve) to identify that there is a crosscut from being in different locations. The project was finally finished after this step and Darwin exported the video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment