Monday, March 9, 2020

Film Day: Recording the last scenes

My group and I got together after the peer review, to actually complete what we did not finish. We had to work on the last scenes, that involved another setting and being in a car. I was the one that had to drive 4 of my peers to the other house, and we were sort of in a rush because we had at least an hour or two before the sun went down. This was very stressful for me because I know I am very serious about this assignment. So I want to get work done, but the other members like to fool around and waste time. I followed the rest of the storyboard, which included the dialogue between the main characters, Carolina and Kenneth. That means that I was not behind the camera in any of these shots, I was mainly an actor that day. However, I would tell Emily, the director, how some shots would be set up and what the camera would be doing in that scene. The first clip we recorded was of me scrolling through my phone and looking up to an approaching car and when it stopped, I would walk up to it. Carolina was then supposed to open the door and ask if the driver was her uber. I was aware that Emily needed to record an extreme close up of the phone being used as a mirror for Carolina to look at herself, but I knew we would have no time for it in the final product. I consulted the other members, and they agreed to cut it out overall, instead of deciding later while editing. I believed that it would have taken too much patience to get the camera to focus correctly, and I just wanted to get straight to the point for our video. With these car scenes, I always had to direct Darwin, or Kenneth, to drive back to the spot where he begins driving from, in order to reset. We had to take multiple takes because my head was in the shot instead of it being over the shoulder, or you could see Emily's reflection in the car. Emily then got into the backseat of the car, to get the shot-reverse-shot in one take. So I would technically be saying my lines in one video, but it would be cut while editing and placed in between the scene of Kenneth responding to the question. Darwin also had a couple "one takes". This was more clever than just recording other separate clips that would be 2 seconds long. Lastly, the final shot was an eye-level angle of the car driving off. We only had 2 takes with this, and once we gathered all our footage, we went back to my house to begin editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment